A few simple safety tips can keep your home safe.
It is best not to put up a live tree too early. Do not leave it up for longer than two weeks. Keep the live tree stand filled with water at all times.
Place your tree away from heat sources. Heat will dry out the tree. As a tree dries out it is more easily ignited by heat, flames, or sparks.
Lights add to the beauty of a tee, however, they can be dangerous. Do not link more than three strands, unless directions on the light indicate it is safe to do so. Connect your lights to the extension cord before plugging it into the outlet.
Do not use lit candles. Battery-operated candles are available and are just as pretty and much safer. You can even purchase some that look, smell, and feel like real candles.
Be sure your tree does not block any exits.
And last but not least, use only nonflammable decorations.
Have a safe Christmas and New Year.