About 20 miles south, the Matamoros-Goliad Road ("Camino Real" to old-timers) was probably the most historic road in this area. In the years 1861-1865 the "Cotton Road" – called "Lifeline of the Southern Confederacy" – crossed Bee County. A later route of great value was a cattle trail that channeled thousands of longhorns north from the Rio Grande to the Red River and up the Dodge City Trail or the Chiholm Trail to northern markets. In this area were also La Para (or Grapevine) Road; the Indianola-Papalote Road; and a road to now-vanished St. Mary's, a port on Copano Bay, off the Gulf of Mexico."
The Early Trails in Bee County historical marker is located on U.S. Hwy 181 north of Beeville at the roadside park.