A long history of righteousness
If buildings could have hoary heads, this church's would be a crown a glory. The historical marker at the site of Beeville's First Baptist Church states: "This church was organized in 1869 as the Beeville Baptist Church. Its first sanctuary was built near Poesta Creek in 1871. The congregation grew quickly, emerging as the largest among the 39 members of the regional Blanco Baptist Association by 1876. The congregation changed its name to First Baptist Church of Beeville about 1887. Through the efforts of the Rev. J.M. Sallee and his family, the church began tradition of extensive foreign missionary work about 1900. The congregation built its fourth sanctuary at this site in 1957."