directory
DRT hears of Mount Echo Ranch history
Oct 15, 2010 | 642 views | 0 0 comments | 7 7 recommendations | email to a friend | print
The Rio Medio Chapter of Daughters of the Republic of Texas met Sept. 21 at the First National Bank’s community room for its first meeting of the new club year. President Ann Chambless called the meeting to order and led in pledges to the United States and Texas flags. Chaplain Diana Braly gave the invocation.

Sandra Jones introduced the speaker, Andi Estes, who told the interesting history of the Mathis property known as Mount Echo Ranch. Mrs. Estes and her husband purchased a portion of the property four years ago and have been able to research much history of the land and remaining structures.

In 1979, a historical marker was erected on the property that was first purchased in 1849 by Irish immigrants George B. Murphy and wife Margaret Mary Murphy.

During the business session, President Chambless reported that all dues have been received; new memberships are being encouraged by the state DRT; grave marker dedications for deceased members will be in May; and the District VII workshop is scheduled for Oct. 1-2 in Laredo, hosted by the Villa de San Agustin de Laredo chapter. Members voted to contribute $100 toward state convention expenses.

Hostesses were Mrs. Chambless and Mrs. Jones. Guests were Linda Austin, District VII representative candidate, and Mrs. Estes. Following an announcement that the next meeting will be on Nov. 16, members enjoyed lunch at Hensley’s.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet