Weather experts are confidently predicting increased chances of scattered showers and thunderstorms in our region through Sunday. They forecast this drought-parched area could be the recipient of up to two inches of rain as a cold front approaches.
Perhaps, the only ones hoping for a short break from the storms are those making final plans for this year’s Fiesta Diez y Seis festivities.
However, come rain or shine, the popular annual events recognizing the colorful, significant history and culture of Mexico are going to be held, said Fred Morón, parade marshal and one of the chief organizers.
The party actually already has begun. Congratulations to the pageant winners, who were crowned last Saturday. Krystal Alyssa Garcia was named Miss Diez y Seis; Desa Rae Delgado, Junior Miss Diez y Seis; and Serena Marie Garza, Little Miss Diez y Seis.
This Saturday, in addition to the 28th annual parade on main street in downtown Beeville, featuring pageant contest winners, bands and floats, some of the highlights include:
• Big final dance with music provided by Tejano star Michael Salgado and his band on the Expo Center stage;
• Ricky Naranjo y Los Gamblers to play earlier that evening;
• Grupo Fusion to perform in the afternoon at the pavilion;
• Jalapeño and tamale eating contests;
• 5K Fun Run starting early in the morning downtown in front of Prosperity Bank;
• Disc golf tournament at Veterans Memorial Park;
• And new this year, exciting Texas Wrestling Federation matches returning to the Expo Center arena.
This year’s Fiesta promises to be entertaining for celebrants of all ages from across the community. They’re ready for a good time, weather or not.
– Chip Latcham