directory
Rotary hears of ConocoPhillips, white-tailed deer, Interact clubs and Calliham history
Nov 13, 2012 | 1780 views | 0 0 comments | 7 7 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Rotary guest speakers for October were Paul Jaure, Kirby Townsend, Andy McCrady and Glynis Strause.

McCrady, wildlife management services, Bar J Perfect 10, presented a PowerPoint presentation about improving your acreage for the white-tailed deer. He services mostly private property. McCrady helps the property owners apply for wildlife management tax exemption per certification and permits, upland game birding and researches forage plots that are best for the deer.

He explained that there is a pyramid for the white-tailed deer managements that consists of nutrition, age and genetics. Harvesting spikes because the deer is inferior is not necessarily true, and he explained why.

Strause, community relations adviser of ConocoPhillips, presented a PowerPoint presentation of the ConocoPhillips/Eagle Ford history and impact in Bee and surrounding counties. Conoco started in 1875 as the Continental Oil and Transportation Company based in Utah. In 1929, Marland Oil Co. acquired the assets of Continental Oil Co. At that time, Marland Oil changed its name to Continental Oil. In 1905, brothers Frank and L.E. Phillips hit the first of 81 wells in a row without a single dry hole.

In 2002, Conoco and Phillips merged to be the third largest energy company in the U.S. and the sixth largest publicly traded oil company.

Jaure, of the Texas Parks and Wildlife, presented a PowerPoint of the history on Calliham and the surrounding town. Calliham was originally known as Guffeyola. Hiram McGuffey began the settlement. He owned a store at the site. The original store was moved to the UTSA Cultural Center.

Old Calliham hit it big in 1908 when Charles Byrne, a rancher drilling for water, also found high-pressure natural gas. In 1918, J.T. Calliham built a store on his ranch and called it Calliham. Another well was struck in 1922, and a boomtown was born. The first post office was built in 1923. By 1988, Calliham had moved three miles south of its original site, which had been inundated by Choke Canyon Reservoir. Choke Canyon State Park is there today, and the original town site is five feet under water.

Townsend introduced the A.C. Jones Interact Club, sponsored by the Beeville Rotary Club. There are more than 10,700 Interact clubs with about 200,000 interactors. Worldwide, Interact clubs exist in 109 countries.

There are four areas of Interact emphasis: advancing international understanding and goodwill, demonstrating helpfulness and respect for others, developing leadership skills and personal integrity (RYLA), and understanding the value of individual responsibility and hard work. Interact clubs are asked to complete two community service projects. The club is starting a tutoring project and a recycling program at the high school.

Jon Fischer bestowed on Blant Miller the honor of the Paul Harris Award pin with three stones representing his contributions to the Rotary Foundation.

Visitors to the meeting were Dustin Chaney, Dr. O.B. Vaughn, Bill Lazenby, Patrick West, Joel Castaneda, Paul Reichelt and Christy Lansford.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet