directory
William "Dan" Smith
Sep 29, 2014 | 204 views | 0 0 comments | 0 0 recommendations | email to a friend | print
RUNGE – William “Dan” Smith, 63, of Runge died Sept 27, 2014. He was born May 16, 1951 in Sugarland to Alvin and Maxine Smith. He was preceded in death by his father. He is survived by his wife, Deborah Smith; and children, Joshua D. Smith and Jessica Smith. Visitation will be Wednesday, Oct. 1 from 5 to 8 p.m. at Finch Funeral Chapel in Runge. Funeral service will be at 2 p.m., Thursday, Oct. 2 at Runge Baptist Church. Memorial contributions can be made to Runge Baptist Church. Sign the online guest book at www.finchfuneralchapels.com. Arrangements entrusted to Finch Funeral Chapel in Runge, 830-239-4862.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
No arrests yet in Friday morning shooting
Sep 29, 2014 | 665 views | 0 0 comments | 0 0 recommendations | email to a friend | print
BEEVILLE – Police department investigators are still searching for evidence that might lead to suspects in the early Friday morning shooting death of a Beeville man. Margarito “Pepe” Keller, 31, was hit one time with what police believe was a rifle bullet just before 2 a.m. Friday as he stood in his back yard at 904 W. Jones St. Police Chief Joe Treviño said investigators are still looking for the identity of a driver and owner of a green SUV seen leaving the scene after the shooting. We will have more on this story in Wednesday's edition of the Beeville Bee-Picayune.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Course on par for new managers - Two locals called to run pro shop temporarily
by Gary Kent
Sep 29, 2014 | 306 views | 0 0 comments | 0 0 recommendations | email to a friend | print
BEEVILLE – The one-time lessees of the pro shop at the John C. Beasley Municipal Golf Course have vacated the building. That was the message City Manager Jack Hamlett had for the City Council when they met Tuesday at City Hall. At the council’s previous meeting, on Sept. 9, Hamlett informed the council that CDOS, L.L.P., was delinquent on its monthly lease payments of $4,100 to the city. Hamlett said he had given the principals of the company, Raul Casarez and Elias Chapa, an opportunity to get caught up on the payments owed to the city, but the lessees had not signed on to the agreement. The city manager explained that use of the course, at Veterans Memorial Park, had dropped to the point that the lessees were no longer making enough money to keep up with the payments. “I recommend the City Council authorize the city manager to give notice to terminate the lease effective Sept. 22, 2014,” Hamlett said in a memo addressed to the council at the earlier meeting. The city manager said he had contacted the lessees in writing on Aug. 7 when they were 10 payments behind. “I don’t have a lot of confidence in them,” Hamlett then told the council. The lessees where notified and told they had 10 days to vacate the premises, and he told the council that he had been given the keys to the pro shop on the previous day. Hamlett said City Parks Director Fred Diaz had lined up a couple of city employees who had previous experience with operating the pro shop to take over the operation this weekend. He said two local men, Rick Smith and John Johnson, had expressed an interest in taking over the management of the pro shop on a temporary basis. Hamlett told council members that the temporary agreement will allow the city to keep the course open so that the staff can determine what kind of income can be generated at the course. Then the city can prepare a proposal for interested parties and seek applicants who might want to enter into a new lease agreement for the operation of the facility. Diaz’s parks crew will continue to maintain the course, as it has in the past, and the city personnel who will staff the pro shop will be in charge of cart rental. Hamlett said he hoped to be able to solicit proposals from interested lessees in four to five months. Gary Kent is a reporter at the Bee-Picayune and can be reached at 358-2550, ext. 120, or at reporter@mySouTex.com.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Grand jury indicts suspects for evading arrest, DWI, theft
by Gary Kent
Sep 29, 2014 | 288 views | 0 0 comments | 0 0 recommendations | email to a friend | print
BEEVILLE – Bee County Grand Jury members indicted a 38-year-old man last month on a charge of evading arrest or detention with a motor vehicle. The defendant, Ignacio Mejias, faces a possible conviction on a third degree felony. He could be sentenced to as many as 10 years in prison and fined $10,000. Mejias allegedly fled from an officer in a vehicle on April 20. His bond was set at $4,000 by District Judge Starr Bauer. Others indicted last month on either third degree or state jail felonies included: • Douglas Dean Drake on a charge of driving while intoxicated, third or more. The charge is a third degree felony. Officers alleged that Drake was driving under the influence of alcohol on March 9, 2013. He had previous DWI convictions on Aug. 7, 1991, in Rusk County and on July 24, 1996, in Gregg County. Bond was $15,000. • Christi Bruce Mendez on a charge of DWI, third or more. A state trooper alleged that the defendant was operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol on May 31, 2013. Mendez had previous DWI convictions on Sept. 28, 1995, and on March 27, 2006. Both convictions were in Bexar County. Bond was $15,000 with special DWI conditions. • Michael Hill, also known as Mikel Lynn Hill, on a charge of theft, $50-$500. The charge was enhanced to a state jail felony because Hill had previous felony convictions. If convicted of the charge, Hill could be sentenced to two years in a state jail facility and fined $10,000. A Beeville Police Department investigator alleged that the 38-year-old suspect stole a television from the Walmart Supercenter on Nov. 21, 2013. The television was valued at more than $50 but less than $500. He had previous felony convictions on Nov. 8, 2009, on a charge of theft in Travis County and on another charge of theft on April 12, 2011, in Bee County. Bond was $10,000. • Ryan Ramirez on a charge of possession of a controlled substance, cocaine, less than one gram. The charge is a state jail felony. A Bee County deputy sheriff accused the 26-year-old defendant of having the drug on June 18, 2013. Bond was $3,000. • Jennifer Hernandez on four counts of DWI with a child under the age of 15 in the vehicle. The charge is a state jail felony. The defendant was accused of having four children in a vehicle with her when she was arrested on a DWI charge on April 20. Bond was $2,000. • Jose Manuel Ojeda on a charge of possession of a controlled substance, less than one gram, in a drug-free zone. The charge was enhanced to a state jail felony because the defendant was within 1,000 feet of A.C. Jones High School when he was arrested. According to a BPD investigator, the 22-year-old suspect had the drug in his possession on April 11, 2013. Bond was $5,000.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet