directory
Cannon restoration underway
by Joe Baker
Jun 23, 2013 | 980 views | 0 0 comments | 35 35 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Contributed photo
The 1916 cannon that normally sits in front of the Karnes County courthouse is loaded onto a trailer headed to New Braunfels for restoration.
Contributed photo The 1916 cannon that normally sits in front of the Karnes County courthouse is loaded onto a trailer headed to New Braunfels for restoration.
slideshow
The German 7,7cm iFK 1916 Cannon that has been next to the Karnes County Courthouse for decades was moved on June 12 to the K-3 Machine Tool Company in New Braunfels where it will be restored by Karl Kurkey.

The Karnes County Historical Society expressed thanks to County Commissioner James Rosales and Karnes City City Manager Don Tymrak for helping orchestrate the loading of the cannon onto the trailer.

The society also expressed thanks to everyone who helped roll the cannon from its location next to the courthouse to the back parking lot where it could be raised and set onto the trailer.

Kurkey estimates completion of the restoration to be Jan. 1, 2014. The cannon will be moved back to the courthouse grounds after completion of the exterior work on the courthouse.

This cannon restoration is being made possible thanks to the funding provided by the children of Gladys (Schendel) Crews and Steve Crews III. They will be donating funds in their parents’ memory to be used for the restoration of this artillery piece.

The society also expressed thanks to Mark Cowan with the Texas Historical Commission for his assistance in providing documentation requirements and other recommendations critical to the successful restoration of this cannon.

The Karnes County Historical Society received authority from Commissioners Court to coordinate the restoration of the cannon. Questions or comments regarding this project can be directed to Sue Carter, 210-710-4896.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet