Cadiz Baptist Church
Our Lady of Loreto chapel
The Texas historical marker outside the Cadiz Baptist Church reads: "This congregation, orginally known as Lapara Baptist Church, was organized on Aug. 12, 1877, by 32 charter members. Services were held under a brush arbor and in a schoolhouse before a sanctuary was erected on Lapara Creek. The building was moved here in 1920, and the church was renamed for the Cadiz settlement. The facility later was enlarged to accommodate the growing church. In 1960 the congregation won the Rural Church of the Year award. In recent years the church has aided disaster victims and supported ministerial students and Christian crusades. (1983)"
Below – Our Lady of Loreto chapel at the Presidio La Bahia in Goliad is one of the oldest churches in America, built to give soldiers at the fort a place to worship. The first Texas Declaration of Independence from Mexico was signed on the altar here on Dec. 20, 1835. (Information from http://www.stxmaps.com/go/our-lady-of-loreto-chapel.html)