According to a report on file at the Beeville Volunteer Fire Department’s C.M. “Smitty” Smith Central Fire Station, the blaze was reported at about 5:12 p.m. at 707 N. Harrison St.
The occupants, Jessica Garcia and her two young boys, were at Veterans Memorial Park at the time attending a baseball game.
“Evidently it was burning for some time before somebody noticed it,” Barrie said.
He said police officers who were first on the scene reported that they watched as flames spread quickly throughout the wood-frame structure.
Fire fighters arrived within minutes but, according to the report, the structure was engulfed by the time they arrived.
Barrie said the Garcia family had lived in the home about three or four years. They had no insurance.
“We’re still looking at the cause,” Barrie said. He suspects there were electrical problems in the home.
Twenty-five fire fighters were at the scene and they used about 3,000 gallons of water and foam to extinguish the flames.
“I’d like to setup a donation drive for the family displaced by the fire,” Barrie said. “I would like to ask for donations to be dropped off at the Central Fire Station Sunday between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m.”
Barrie said he is looking for any household items, clothes, and other items for two children (boys) and the mother.
Barrie may be contacted at (361) 354-5789.
Gary Kent is a reporter at the Bee-Picayune and can be reached at 358-2550, ext. 120, or at reporter@mySouTex.com.