directory
Transformer sparks fire, consumes nearby home
by Gary Kent
Apr 11, 2014 | 68 views | 0 0 comments | 18 18 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Gary Kent photos

Volunteer firemen fight their way through tall grass to stop flames from spreading beyond an abandoned house in the 400 block of North Matamoros Street Friday morning. The fire started when a power pole was blown to the ground by high winds and the resulting sparks ignited dried grass in the yard of the abandoned house.
Gary Kent photos Volunteer firemen fight their way through tall grass to stop flames from spreading beyond an abandoned house in the 400 block of North Matamoros Street Friday morning. The fire started when a power pole was blown to the ground by high winds and the resulting sparks ignited dried grass in the yard of the abandoned house.
slideshow
BEEVILLE – When firefighters rushed to a fire call at the intersection of the 400 block of North Matamoros and 800 block of West Diaz streets Friday morning, they thought they had a power pole down and a grass fire.

But by the time they arrived just before 10 a.m., they also had a house fire.

Neighbors living across the street complained about the condition of the power pole as they stood in their front yard and watched members of the Beeville Volunteer Fire Department try to stop the flames from consuming the entire abandoned house.

One of them asked an employee from American Electric Power why the pole had not been replaced.

The pole on the north side of Matamoros Street apparently was blown down by high winds.

The pole fell across the street and a transformer landed on the pavement, leaking chemicals out of it.

AEP employees and firefighters rushed to stop the chemicals from reaching Poesta Creek, using kitty litter and sand.

Meanwhile, hot electric lines on the downed pole ignited dry, matted grass in the yard around the abandoned house in the 800 block of West Diaz and quickly spread to the structure.

Although fire trucks arrived within minutes, it was too late to save the old house.

Fire units extinguished the flames and trucks returned to the Central Fire Station shortly after 11 a.m.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet