directory
Texas A&M ‘Military Walk’ will be restored
Feb 06, 2009 | 437 views | 0 0 comments | 4 4 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Military Walk, for decades a major focal point on the Texas A&M University campus, will be elegantly reconstructed, thanks to a multimillion-dollar former student gift that will fully fund the project. The donor is Dan Hughes of Beeville, a 1951 graduate of Texas A&M and a former member of its Corps of Cadets.

Plans for the $4 million restoration project were presented recently by Texas A&M President Elsa Murano to the Texas A&M University System Board of Regents. Military Walk, presently a 1,500-foot-long pedestrian greenway with a connection of sidewalks, links the north side Sbisa Dining Hall area to the Rudder/Memorial Student Center Complex in the heart of the campus.

It evolved from a dirt road in the early 1880s to a narrow paved street in the early 1900s to the current series of sidewalks laid in the 1970s. Plans call for installing a combination of bricks and limestone pavers with historical markers and landscaping enhancements along the way.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet