Chief Donnie Morris of the Beeville Volunteer Fire Department said firefighters donned protective bee suits at about 10 a.m. to get to the girl after she was stung 21 times by bees in the 600 block of East Crockett Street.
Morris was one of the first firefighters at the scene, and he ordered everyone to stay back until volunteers wearing the protective equipment could get to the victim.
Family members reported that the girl’s lips were beginning to swell when emergency personnel, including four officers with the Beeville Police Department and emergency medical service personnel from Angel Care Ambulance Service, arrived at the scene.
The firefighters helped to get the victim, identified as Emily Paige Campbell, to the awaiting ambulance.
Morris said he checked on the girl later and learned that she was treated for what appeared to be a slight allergy to the stings.
“She’s doing fine,” Morris said Thursday.
Residents in the area said they had used a lawn mower recently without a problem.
However, it appeared that a yard man working around the location of the incident had been using a weed trimmer.
The fire report indicated that the noise from the trimmer might have triggered the bees to attack.
On Tuesday morning Beeville firefighters joined volunteers from Pettus, Pawnee and Normanna in battling a rapidly-spreading grass fire near the intersection of County Road 316 and FM 673, north of the city.
Approximately 10 acres of land was burned by the flames.
Firefighters believed the fire was started by what was left of a brush pile that had been burned the previous day.
Gary Kent is a reporter at the Bee-Picayune and can be reached at 343-5220, or at reporter@mySouTex.com.