directory
Murder charge is Longoria’s third felony in a year
by Gary Kent
Aug 29, 2013 | 87 views | 0 0 comments | 19 19 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Richard Longoria
Richard Longoria
slideshow
BEEVILLE – The 20-year-old suspect in the Aug. 18 shooting death of Alex Longoria had been on what some might describe as a yearlong crime spree.

According to detectives with the Beeville Police Department, Richard Longoria had been convicted on a charge of aggravated robbery in Nueces County in April 2012.

He was out of jail already, however, when he and another man allegedly took part in the armed robbery of a game room here on March 7 of this year.

That resulted in a second charge of aggravated robbery in about a year.

Both charges are first degree felonies, punishable by a prison term of up to 99 years to life and a $10,000 fine.

Richard Longoria was free on a $75,000 bond on the March robbery charge when he allegedly was driven up to the north side of Kohler Park at about 3 p.m. on Aug. 18 and started shooting at 21-year-old Alex Longoria.

According to police investigating the shooting, Richard Longoria stepped out of the vehicle and continued shooting at Alex Longoria until the victim was hit once in the stomach.

Witnesses said the accused shooter then got back into a late 1990s model Camaro, and the vehicle sped from the scene.

Alex Longoria was rushed to Christus Spohn Hospital in Beeville, where he died.

The suspect was arrested at a home in the 1700 block of Emily Drive about four hours after the shooting.

Police are still looking for the driver of the Camaro. Coastal Bend Crime Stoppers is offering a reward of up to $1,000 for information that could lead to an arrest.

According to officers, the murder charge was the third first degree felony for which Richard Longoria was charged in slightly more than a year.

This time, he has little chance of getting out of jail until he goes to trial on the charge.

The same justice of the peace who set the $75,000 bond on the suspect after the March 7 robbery at 301 E. Milam St. set his bond on the murder charge at $1.5 million. Justice of the Peace Abel Suniga also set a $500,000 bond on Richard Longoria on a charge of illegal possession of a firearm by a felon.

Longoria’s robbery case had not been delivered to District Attorney José Aliseda’s office when the Aug. 18 shooting took place. The suspect had not yet been indicted by the Bee County Grand Jury on that charge.

Investigators have said they believe the shooting was the result of an argument between the two men over a woman.

Aliseda said the murder case filed against the defendant could be elevated to a habitual status. That would mean that the minimum sentence a jury or judge could give Richard Longoria would be 15 years in prison, if he is convicted.

The maximum sentence he would receive after a guilty verdict would be 99 years to life in prison.

Aliseda said last week that he can understand that some local residents may be upset that the suspect was out on bail when Alex Longoria was shot; however, the law requires that a judge set a reasonable bond on a suspect when he is charged with a crime.

Gary Kent is a reporter at the Bee-Picayune and can be reached at 358-2550, ext. 120, or at reporter@mySouTex.com.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet