Following the invocation by Chaplain Diana Braly and pledges to the United States and Texas flags, program presenters Elaine Stephens and Susan Rictor, representing the LaVernia Historical Association, informed members of the establishment and exhibits of the LaVernia Heritage Museum in LaVernia.
The museum is housed in LaVernia’s first fire department building, which was built in the early 1950s. Besides artifacts associated with the early volunteer fire department, the first pumper truck used by the department in the early 1900s is on display. Also included are numerous bricks and decorative stoneware from the Suttles Pottery kiln established by the Suttles brothers in the late 1800s in LaVernia. Upon Isaac’s death in 1884, brother George continued making pottery until 1912. An archaeological study of the area in 2001 determined the kiln site to be located in the center of LaVernia, on what is now private property.
In the business session, treasurer Myrtle Bocquet reported that a donation to the Bee County Wildlife Association Scholarship Fund has been made in memory of Larry Jones, husband of DRT member Sandra Jones. President Ann Chambless announced that grave markers are scheduled for placement on headstones of deceased members Sandy Dirks, Marge Roberts and Elizabeth Kay in May. Other announcements included the following: a reception honoring the 175th anniversary of Texas Independence Day will be held at the Alamo on March 2; the state convention will be May 12-14 in San Antonio; and the next chapter meeting will be held March 15.
Hostesses for the meeting were Mrs. Bocquet and Elizabeth Villines.
Upon adjournment, members and the guest speaker enjoyed lunch at the Gasthaus Berliner Bear.