directory
Man sentenced to jail after felony reduced to misdemeanor
by Jason Collins
Sep 01, 2011 | 2348 views | 0 0 comments | 14 14 recommendations | email to a friend | print
A 31-year-old man was sentenced to 199 days in jail accused of choking a woman he apparently was dating.

According to reports, Roberto Adan Martinez also threatened the woman’s son with a knife after the assault.

Martinez entered a plea of no contest to Judge Michael Welborn. The charge of assault of a family member was reduced to a misdemeanor and the district attorney’s office opted not to pursue the second count, aggravated assault, which accused Martinez of threatening the son.

According to reports, officers were called to a house in the 800 block of South Tyler Street because of the fight on Jan. 31.

When they got there, the mother was upset and was asked to go back inside the home to compose herself, while one of the officers talked to Martinez and her son.

The son told the officer that he had arrived at his mother’s home to pick up his child when he saw Martinez yelling at his mother.

“He approached Martinez and told him to leave,” an officer wrote in his report. “He then stated that Martinez threatened to kill him and removed a pocketknife from his pants pocket, opened and began swinging it at him.”

“(The son) then went to his car and retrieved a homemade club and told Martinez to leave again,” the officer wrote.

The son, seeing that this was going nowhere, put the club up and asked Martinez to do the same.

“He stated that Martinez again stated that he was going to kill him,” the officer wrote.

One officer that day also spoke to the mother inside the home.

“She was crying and in considerable distress,” the officer wrote. “After allowing her to calm down, she stated that she and Martinez had been in a dating relationship but broke up yesterday.”

Martinez’s visit that day was uninvited.

She described an argument between the two and Martinez placing his hands around her neck and screaming, “Listen to me.”

But the story is far from over as one of the investigating officers was later at the jail when he saw Martinez with a swollen eye and cheek.

“Roberto advised he was assaulted by (the son) and his stick and he wished to pursue charges,” the officer wrote.

As the officer was returning from his patrol car with a camera to photograph Martinez’s injuries, he was stopped by a jailer who asked if he had spoken to Martinez about the bruises.

“I confirmed that, to which she advised that a short time before my arrival she observed Roberto striking himself in the area in question,” he wrote.

Jason Collins is the editor at the Bee-Picayune and can be reached at 358-2550, ext. 121, or at editor@mySouTex.com.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet