directory
Grant will replace roof of 1858 Panna Maria house
Jan 08, 2012 | 1636 views | 0 0 comments | 10 10 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Contributed photo
The John Gawlik home was constructed in 1858 and was the first permanent stone dwelling built in Panna Maria.
view image
PANNA MARIA – Grant funding from the San Antonio Conservation Society will help replace the roof of a Panna Maria house that was originally built in 1858.

Mary Cheuvront was the recipient of the grant in the community that was the first Polish settlement in the United States. The John Gawlik House was the first permanent stone dwelling constructed there. The John Gawlik home was named after the stone mason who built the house.

Using the proceeds from its 2011 presentation of “A Night In Old San Antonio®” (NIOSA®), the San Antonio Conservation Society has awarded $85,000 this year in grants to 13 historic preservation and educational projects that fulfill its purpose to “preserve and to encourage the preservation of historic buildings, objects, places and customs relating to the history of Texas, its natural beauty and all that is admirably distinctive to our State.”

Since 1990, the Society has provided grants in the San Antonio area for the restoration or rehabilitation of residential and commercial historic structures that are at least 50 years old. Since 2000 alone, the Society’s grants program has awarded nearly two million dollars to individuals and organizations.

After a lengthy review process, a total of $75,000 was awarded to the following 13 individuals and organizations:

In addition to building grants, the Society also awarded $10,000 in educational grants to the following organizations:

“Our Community Grant program is a unique way for the San Antonio Conservation Society to partner with residential and commercial property owners as they work to preserve and protect their historic properties,” says Conservation Society President Nancy Avellar. “This year, a record number of Community Grant applications were received by the Society: 54 structure applications and six educational applications. The response to this program was gratifying, with so many historically and architecturally significant structures and worthwhile educational projects being considered for a grant.”

The grants program occurs annually; applications for the 2012 grant program will be posted on the website at www.saconservation.org in late August 2012, or are available by calling the Society office. For more information, contact the Conservation Society at (210) 224-6163 or conserve@saconservation.org.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet