By the time the clouds passed, they had dumped several inches of rain in some locations and caused several electrical outages.
Beeville Volunteer Fire Department members responded to at least three fire alarm problems.
The first alarm was at 3:25 p.m. at the A.C. Jones High School campus where the Beeville Independent School District’s director of environmental services, Roy Galvan, was sending his employees through the buildings checking for any source of a real fire.
As Galvan and his crew were checking that campus, another alarm went off at the BISD’s FMC Elementary School campus.
The problem turned out to be the same, a temporary blip in electric power.
Shortly after 4 p.m. firemen were dispatched to the 300 block of West Youst Street after a tree fell on power lines.
Firemen stayed at that scene and later helped employees with American Electric Power when they arrived.
Firefighters answered another call in the 700 block of East Huntington Street after an alarm went off at that location.
Again, there was no real fire.
Assistant Fire Chief Lanny Holland said the department did respond to a dryer fire at a home on FM Road 2824 just before the alarm problem at the high school.
That call originally came in as a structure fire but the first firemen at the scene had the fire out by the time one of its trucks arrived.
Although heavy rain fell for a few minutes at a time in some parts of the city, there were no real high water problems.
Some streets were temporarily barricaded but apparently no motorists were stranded.
Gary Kent is a reporter at the Bee-Picayune and can be reached at 358-2550, ext. 120, or at reporter@mySouTex.com.