directory
Villanueva defeats Jalufka in sheriff’s race
by Joe Baker
Aug 09, 2012 | 2289 views | 0 0 comments | 15 15 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Dwayne Villanueva won the July 31 Democratic primary runoff election for county sheriff by a margin of 706 votes. Villanueva will run unopposed in the November general election.
Dwayne Villanueva won the July 31 Democratic primary runoff election for county sheriff by a margin of 706 votes. Villanueva will run unopposed in the November general election.
slideshow
Pictured here are precinct by precinct results for local July 31 elections.
Pictured here are precinct by precinct results for local July 31 elections.
slideshow
KARNES COUNTY – Karnes County voter turnout was unusually high as many local people voted in the July 31 local, statewide and federal primary runoff elections and also the repeat of a Democratic primary election for county commissioner.

Voter turnout in Karnes County was 25.51% for the Democratic elections and 2.84% in the Republican elections for a combined turnout of 28.35% of Karnes County’s 7,736 registered voters.

Local voter turnout in Karnes County was more than twice what it was statewide.

Across Texas, voter turnout was only 8.5% for the Republican runoff elections and 1.8% for the Democratic elections for a combined voter turnout of 10.3% of the 13.06 million registered voters in Texas.

There were two runoff elections for local positions decided in the July 31 elections.

In the runoff election for the Democratic candidate for county sheriff, challenger Dwayne Villanueva was the winner with 1,659 votes (63.51%). Incumbent David Jalufka received 953 votes (36.49%). Villanueva will run unopposed in the November general election as no candidates filed to run for sheriff as a Republican.

In the runoff election for the Democratic candidate for Justice of the Peace Precinct 4, David Sotelo was the winner with 341 votes (67.26%). Candidate Floyd Brasher received 166 votes (32.74%). Sotelo will run unopposed in the November general election as no candidates filed to run for Justice of the Peace Precinct 4 as a Republican.

Karnes County Democratic voters in precinct 3 voted again in the race for county commissioner Precinct 3 due to the results of the May 29 election being voided by a district court order. A new election was ordered as the result of a lawsuit citing voting registration irregularities as the basis for holding a new election.

Incumbent County Commissioner James Rosales won the new July 31 election with 476 votes (56.60%). Challenger Mary Lozano received 365 votes (43.40%). Rosales will run unopposed in the November general election as no candidates filed to run for County Commissioner Precinct 3 as a Republican.

Another item on the Democratic ballot was the runoff election for the Democratic nominee for U.S. Senator. Karnes County voters cast 354 ballots (61.56%) for Paul Sadler and 221 votes (38.43%) for Grady Yarbrough. Statewide, Sadler won the runoff with 63.08% of the votes cast while Yarbrough received 36.91% of the votes.

Several items were on the Republican ballot for the July 31 runoff elections.

In the runoff race for who will be the Republican nominee for U.S. Senator, Karnes County voters cast 136 votes (57.38%) for Ted Cruz and 101 votes (42.61%) for David Dewhurst. Statewide, Cruz won the runoff with 56.79% of the votes cast while Dewhurst received 43.20% of the votes.

In the runoff race for who will be the Republican nominee for U.S. Representative District 15, Karnes County voters cast 139 votes (62.89%) for Dale Brueggemann and 82 votes (37.10%) for Eddie Zamora. Statewide, Brueggemann won the runoff with 57.30% of the votes cast while Zamora received 42.69% of the votes.

In the runoff race for who will be the Republican nominee for Railroad Commissioner, Karnes County voters cast 115 votes (52.75%) for Christi Craddick and 103 votes (47.24%) for Warren Chisum. Statewide, Craddick won the runoff with 59.80% of the votes cast while Chisum received 40.19% of the votes.

In the runoff race for who will be the Republican nominee for Railroad Commissioner – Unexpired term, Karnes County voters cast 140 votes (64.81%) for Barry Smitherman and 76 votes (35.18%) for Greg Parker. Statewide, Smitherman won the runoff with 62.13% of the votes cast while Parker received 37.86% of the votes.

In the runoff race for who will be the Republican nominee for Justice, Supreme Court, Place 4, Karnes County voters cast 133 votes (61.86%) for John Devine and 82 votes (38.13%) for David Medina. Statewide, Devine won the runoff with 53.27% of the votes cast while Medina received 46.72% of the votes.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet