Lockdown ordered in Woodsboro
by Tim Delaney
May 01, 2014 | 387 views | 0 0 comments | 14 14 recommendations | email to a friend | print
The Woodsboro campus on Tuesday, April 29.
The Woodsboro campus on Tuesday, April 29.
WOODSBORO – The Woodsboro schools’ campus went into a lockdown situation on Monday, according to the school district’s high school principal in a press release on Tuesday, April 29.

“On Monday, April 28, Woodsboro High School went to lockdown status as part of our continued commitment to the safety and security of our students and staff,” said Linda Garza, high school principal.

“Following a report of a possible dangerous situation, all buildings within the district were secured for approximately one hour,” she added

Garza said that any report causing concern for health and safety of the school’s students and faculty is taken seriously.

“Woodsboro ISD immediately takes all steps necessary to respond appropriately. We have been and will continue to be proactive in our efforts to make sure our schools are safe and secure,” she said.

Refugio County Sheriff’s Office Chief Deputy Sheldon Wiginton said the trouble actually started Saturday night.

The sheriff’s dispatcher received a call from a concerned parent that a kid had made threatening remarks about the school because the student was on suspension.

The comments were interpreted as the kid wanting to blow up the school and shoot everyone, according to the dispatcher’s log.

After investigating, Wiginton said he thinks the situation “was a little overblown.”

“We went and found and talked to (the student who had been blamed for the comments),” Wiginton said.

“He was at home. He is not in school right now. We found out the problem,” Wigninton said.

Still, the school took no chances and entered into a lockdown Monday until it was assured the problem was taken care of.

“It was a miscommunication among people. We checked with the people—no, he didn’t make the comment,” Wiginton said.

“I’d rather take the ridicule than be wrong,” Wiginton said.

“It is all resolved now,” he added.

“We appreciate the cooperation of our students, faculty, administration, sheriff’s department and our community. We will continue to be diligent in our efforts to protect our school family,” Garza said.
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet