To qualify for the award, the county must self-insure its workers’ compensation through the Texas Association of Counties Risk Management Pool, and successfully complete the safety award criteria.
Goliad County was one of only 21 counties honored with an award during a May 1 ceremony at the TAC County Management Institute in Austin
Through its commitment to safe practices among county employees, Goliad County works to reduce employee injuries and obtain substantial savings for taxpayers by minimizing workers’ compensation premiums.
TAC risk control consultants evaluate county safety programs and work with counties to develop risk control and safety initiatives. When they begin the selection process for the annual Safety Awards, they consider the following criteria:
• Specific safety program elements;
• Activity and success of program in the 2013 calendar year;
• Support for the program by upper management, a governing board or a commission that directs the operations of the entity;
• Recent loss history;
• Improvement in the safety program; and
• Adoption of safety award criteria.