In August 1885, Bee County citizens gathered for worship in the courthouse.
Worship was led by Mrs. R.C. Warfield, W.B. Lewis, L.C. Ross, Paul Baxter, W. Wofford and W.R. Hayes.
On Aug. 9, 1891, First Christian Church filed its charter.
Signing the charter were Grady Brumfield, W.J. and E.A. Waltermire, G. Whitney, Sarah Ann Wofford, Nannie Barfield, Collie King, H.M. Eeds, G.W. Belt, S.M.B. Jones, J.W. Ramey, Mr. and Mrs. W.Y. Taylor, Fannie and Lela Reaves, Mrs. H.S. Baxter, Mrs. R.C. Werts, Mr. and Mrs. Paul Baxter, Mrs. Mattie Eeds, Emma Slavitchek, Ella Lawson, Mattie Myers, Ruth Best, Mrs. Amanda Hooker, Martin Hooker, David Myers, Mrs. M. Ward, Mrs. J.S. Hodges, Mrs. Bettie Fore, M.E. Messinger, W.B. Lewis, Alice Lewis and Mrs. Annie L. Whitney.
Rev. T.D. Secrest was the resident minister. In two years, they erected a church building costing $887.86. A contribution for aid was noted and there was a clear reference to the Church Extension Board in the same minutes. It appears this frontier church was supported by the forerunner of today’s new church development.
In 1901, the building moved a few blocks down the street to its present location at 715 N. St. Mary’s St. Water and sewer services arrived in 1936. An apartment for the minister and family was added along with wall fans in 1941. The Ladies Aid Society kept the church connected to all the missionary societies of that era and kept detailed records of their contributions.
It is South Texas and in the 1950s central air conditioning arrived. The Board of Church Extension helped the church add a fellowship hall, turn the apartment upstairs into classrooms and mark off space for a parking lot – another modern convenience.
Rev. Geraldine R. Huckman, pastor, said, “The Dugat Gardens is under development to honor the lives of early church members. It will be a green place to celebrate creation and dream of welcoming the future God is planning for this 118-year-old lively place where we are church.
“Come help us celebrate on Aug. 9. Worship is at 11 a.m., followed by lunch Disciples style – with 12 basketfuls left over.”