George West tackles No. 3 Hempstead next
by Arnold Guajardo
Nov 18, 2011 | 449 views | 0 0 comments | 2 2 recommendations | email to a friend | print
George West Longhorn Seth Pipkin hauls in a pass from Brady Jones during the Longhorns win over Taft on Saturday in Alice.
view slideshow (2 images)
The George West Longhorns squared off with the Taft Greyhounds last Friday night in front of a packed house at Alice Memorial Stadium. The Longhorns would prevail with a convincing 27-7 victory over the Hounds to advance to the second round of the playoffs.

The Horns would get the scoring started on their second possession of the night after a Taft punt would set the Horns up at midfield. The Horns would go 45 yards in six plays, all on the ground, to get to the end zone after a 26 yard dash by senior Seth Pipkin. The PAT by Jessie Haros would make the score 7-0 with five minutes to play in the first quarter.

Taft would then answer on their next possession. Going 65 yards in eight plays with their potent passing attack, which is what they would rely on all night. Taft QB Jonathan Acosta, would roll out and hit Jestin Flores on a five yard passing strike for the touchdown. The PAT would tie the game up at seven a piece with 11 minutes left to play in the second frame. The Hounds would then get a great opportunity after a GW punt would give them the ball at midfield. However, three straight illegal procedures would back them right into their own half of the field. They would be forced to punt the ball away a few plays later.

On the ensuing Horns drive, they were facing a fourth and five at midfield with a minute to play second half. After picking up a couple first downs to get to midfield, Taft QB Acosta would roll out to his right to look for a receiver. However, junior corner Lukas Barcak would have textbook coverage on his man, timing the ball perfectly in the air and coming down with a big interception to halt the threat by the Hounds early in the third, giving the Horns the ball at their own 30 yard line.

After both teams would trade punts, the Horns would get the ball at their own 42 yard line. This is when the Longhorn offensive line would begin to wear down the Hounds defense, going the length of the field in 12 plays to paydirt. Jones would cap the drive with his second touchdown of the night, a one yard run into the end zone. The Horns then elected to go for the two point conversion to make it a two touchdown lead. Jones would roll to his right and hit junior TE Andrew Katzfey in the corner of the end zone to put the Horns up 21-7 with nine minutes to play in the game.

Taft would then go straight to the air again, moving the ball well into GW territory. Once into the red zone, a tipped pass would land in the hands of Horns safety Jones for a second Longhorn interception. Completely deflating the Hounds players as well as their fans.

The Horns would then put the final nail in the coffin, going 82 yards in just three plays. Junior RB Bobby Torres would go around left end for a 30 yard gain to midfield. A couple plays later, Torres would go around right end on a reverse handoff from Pipkin to score from 55 yards out, putting the Horns up 27-7. Torres would end the night as the Horns leading rusher, going 123 yards on just 11 carries. That’s how the score would remain. Giving the Horns the victory, and crowning them as Bi-District Champs for the 2011 season.

The Horns will now be facing the state ranked Hempstead Bobcats in the Area round of the playoffs. The game will be held at Ricebird Stadium in El Campo on Friday night at 7:30 p.m.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet