Suspect to deputies: ‘Why didn’t you shoot me?’
by Gary Kent
Jun 09, 2014 | 826 views | 0 0 comments | 12 12 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Christopher Centeno
Christopher Centeno
BEEVILLE — A 19-year-old Bee County man is alive this week thanks to fast-acting Highway Patrol trooper with a Taser.

Deputy Lt. John Davis of the Bee County Sheriff’s Office said the incident took place at a residence on Ellis Road on the evening of May 24.

The sequence of events began at about 9:13 p.m. when Deputy Ryan Treviño received a call about someone plowing through several fences east of town.

Witnesses accurately described the vehicle involved in the incidents.

Treviño was able to find the suspected vehicle at a residence on Ellis Road and he called for assistance.

Deputy Sgt. Kevin Behr and Deputy Adrian Peña appeared and then Trooper Kolton Kendall arrived to fill out reports on the collisions with the fences.

When the lawmen entered the home, Davis said 19-year-old Christopher Centeno made a break for a bedroom and he was quickly followed by the deputies.

Peña was the first one through the bedroom door and he saw Centeno grab a rifle. The deputy was able to get behind the teen, get his arms up under the gunman’s arms and grab the rifle with both hands.

As the men struggled for control of the gun, Davis said it was uncertain who would end up with the rifle.

Then Kendall pulled his Taser and fired at the suspect.

The 50,000 volts from the Taser incapacitated the would-be shooter and he was handcuffed and led to a patrol car.

Davis said deputies at the scene reported that Centeno asked them, “Why didn’t you shoot me? That’s what I wanted you to do.”

“It was a close one,” Davis said, remembering incidents in recent years where obviously distraught suspects ended up forcing law officers to shoot them.

Davis said if Kendall had not been there and had not responded as quickly as he did, deputies might have been forced to shoot the teen.

Centeno was taken to the Bee County Jail on charges of aggravated assault on a public servant, resisting arrest and evading arrest.

He was released the next day on bonds totaling $22,000 set by Justice of the Peace Abel Suniga.

Gary Kent is a reporter at the Bee-Picayune and can be reached at 358-2550, ext. 120, or at
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet