directory
Water tower leaks causing concerns
by Kenda Nelson
Dec 09, 2011 | 1692 views | 0 0 comments | 13 13 recommendations | email to a friend | print
WOODSBORO — The leaks in Woodsboro’s old water tower have grown so bad, citizens are voicing their concerns.

Wesley Childers, a contractor whose firm was hired by the town to correct problems in the utilities systems, told the council Tuesday night that the tower should be taken down soon.

“It’s leaking real bad and the citizens are very concerned,” Childers said.

Childers’ firm was hired following the resignation of public works director Fred Farias.

Mayor George Hernandez told the council that grants are being sought to pay for the demolition.

“We need to get funding to get it down before it falls down on its own,” Childers said.

Childers said after hurricane season ended, plans were to take it off the system at the first chance and empty the tank. However, Childers said the weight of the water was holding the tower in place.

The council also discussed the lack of housing available in Woodsboro. Municipal Police Chief John Pope returned to Woodsboro the middle of November and has been searching for a home for his family.

Because of the inability to find sufficient housing for Pope, the police department will donate $30,000 to purchase a mobile home and place it on city property.

The home will belong to the city and Pope will pay rent, which will be returned into the drug money fund.

“What will happen if he leaves?” asked an audience member.

The mayor said the town will own the building.

Both Pope, the mayor and Sheriff Robert Bolcik contacted District Attorney Michael Sheppard, County Attorney Robert McGuill and City Attorney Donald Kubicek to ascertain whether this use of the money is proper.

“We called to make sure it can be done,” Hernandez said.

Approximately $20,000 will be left in the fund, according to Pope.

Councilman Blaschke told the council he wanted to go on record as being against the plan.

“I think there are better ways to use the money,” Blaschke said.

The council also will turn another list to the building inspector of structures the town’s committee deemed substandard.

A mobile home on Celia Street targeted as substandard was rented by the owner prior to Tuesday’s meeting.

“The trailer is bent over backwards and it’s leaning on its side,” said a member of the committee. “I’m surprised to see they rented it.”

“The building inspector will determine if it is substandard,” said Councilman Jimmy Blaschke.

In other matters, the council revisited a decision on Christmas bonuses for all city employees.

The workers have not received a raise in two years and no bonus last year.

Council member Debra Bolcik said she asked for the item to be placed on the agenda. Although Bolcik said money was not budgeted for the bonus, the town saved more than $11,000 in funds budgeted for a municipal officer and a public works director while the positions were vacant.

Ten people are employed by the town. The bonus of $600 per employee will amount to $6,000.

Bolcik made the motion for across the board bonuses which received unanimous approval.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet