directory
Grand jury indicts suspected Mexican Mafia members for attempted murder
by Kenda Nelson
May 09, 2012 | 5046 views | 0 0 comments | 14 14 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Marcus Perez
view slideshow (3 images)
A Refugio grand jury handed down indictments on attempted murder charges for three suspected Mexican Mafia gang members this week. The charges stem from the beating of Mario Vasquez, 27, of Victoria, another alleged gang member last May.

Marcus Perez, 39, of Refugio, Jessie Perez, 37, and John Bustos, 26, both of Victoria, were indicted on multiple counts for their alleged involvement.

They remain in the Refugio County Jail.

Vasquez, who is also believed to be a member of the Mexican Mafia, also known as La Eme, was beaten and left for dead last year and dumped on Highway 239.

Passing motorists found Vasquez at 3 p.m. on May 1 with his pants pulled down around his ankles.

“Pulling a man’s pants down like that is a sign that, at some time, he disrespected someone, probably a gang leader in the Mexican Mafia,” said Robert Bolcik, Refugio County sheriff.

Vasquez was flown by air ambulance to Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio where he was placed on life support. He survived but is left in a near vegetative state, according to the sheriff.

Investigators in the sheriff’s office believe Vasquez was beaten in a home on First Street where Marcus Perez lived at the time. After the beating, Bolcik said Vasquez was driven to Highway 239 and dumped into a ditch.

“Evidence shows that the beating may have stemmed from an incident that happened while Vasquez was in prison in 2007,” Bolcik said.

During his incarceration, Vasquez received a sexual conduct reprimand, according to Lt. Martin DeLeon, who is the lead investigator in the case.

“Sexual misconduct in prison is against the Mexican Mafia’s code of ethics,” DeLeon said.

The suspected gang members were believed to be biding their time to punish Vasquez until April 15 when he was released from prison, according to DeLeon.

“He is severely brain damaged and not able to fully comprehend what happened to him,” Bolcik said.

The investigation led the sheriff’s department to Victoria where more information was obtained from Crime Stoppers and the three suspects were arrested last September.

Marcus Perez was indicted for theft of a firearm; directing activities of certain criminal street crimes; attempted murder; aggravated assault causing serious bodily injury; and engaging in organized criminal activity.

Jessie Perez was indicted for directing activities of certain criminal street gangs; attempted murder; aggravated assault causing serious bodily injury; and engaging in organized criminal activity.

John Bustos was indicted for attempted murder; aggravated assault causing serious bodily harm; and engaging in organized criminal activity.

Other indictments handed down by the grand jury include:

• Peter DeLeon, manufacture/delivery of a controlled substance, and endangering a child;

• Larry Garcia Jr., driving while intoxicated with a child passenger and tampering with physical evidence;

•Alton Wayne LaFrance, theft of property;

•Bryant Lewis, attempted arson of a habitation;

•Juan Luis Perez, burglary of a habitation;

• Robert Joseph Thompson, retaliation habitual felony offender, escape, threatened use of a deadly weapon-habitual felony offender; evading arrest/detention with previous conviction;

• Ysidro Trevino, burglary of a building - two counts; Jose Uria Sanchez, possession of marijuana;

• Guillermo Mendoza Jr., money laundering, between $1,500 and $20,000

Seven other indictments were handed down; however, the suspects have not yet been arrested.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet