directory
Fireworks put on hold
by Kenda Nelson
May 10, 2012 | 1977 views | 0 0 comments | 6 6 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Bart Wales
view image
The Refugio City Council put Mayor Ray Jaso’s request for $10,000 for the annual Fourth of July fireworks show on hold Tuesday night. The council also gave an Ingleside couple the go-ahead to build storage units.

The fireworks show was postponed for the last two years as a result of the drought and burn bans in effect during the Independence Day holiday.

Prior to the last two cancellations, the mayor said thousands typically attend the celebration.

“I just don’t think fireworks meets the criteria for hotel/motel funds — that requires 50 percent paid by heads in beds... the rule is bent so much it looks like a pretzel,” said Councilman Ron Nelson.

Bart Wales, museum curator, who is also on the planning committee for the Texas Independence Wine Classic held the second week in March, asked that the council move the fireworks to coincide with that event.

“I agree with you, Ron,” said Council member Karen Watts. “My only problem with the Fourth of July is the heat and stuff.”

Watts said she had never been to the July 4th celebration since she was always out of town at that time.

Nelson motioned to table the request until the next meeting. A workshop will be conducted before the meeting to review the rules for hotel-motel tax expenditures.

The council also gave a thumbs up to Bobby Cameron of Ingleside to proceed with his plans to build storage units on the 600 block of East Empresario. The site is on property where an oil well blew out in the 1930s and created a crater.

Fill dirt and rubble have been added through the years but the crater area continues to sink. Currently, Cameron said the crater is about knee deep.

He also said he will obtain compaction studies and consult a civil engineers before construction begins.

Cameron said the storage units will be built around the perimeter with open air storage in the center which will be locked with security cameras installed.

The town no longer owns the property; however, the matter was brought before the council to ensure the town will not have any liability for future problems with that location.

The council also agreed to the sale of nine properties, two of which are on the demolish list.

Councilman Joey Heard told the council that the buildings targeted for demolition will not be in the hands of the new owners by the deadline set by the town to have the buildings torn down.

City Attorney Donald Kubicek said the demolition order would remain, even when the property changes hands.

The council also agreed to provide water to Supreme Services which purchased the former Valient property on O’Brien Road.

Service pipes were previously laid to the corner of O’Brien Road, according to the council.

Bruce Dupray, the new department head for water and sewer services, said his only concern was how much water the company will need before the new water well planned by the town is ready for service.

The town will provide the water which will be used for mobile homes that will house workers.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet