The directors need the help of the community to succeed in assisting 400 low-income families and have a better Christmas.
Each child will receive two gifts or toys, “Stories of Jesus” coloring books, crayons, plush animals and stocking stuffers. Their families receive food and toiletries. In addition, elderly and disabled registrants receive gifts. Bibles are available in English or Spanish. Homebound delivery is scheduled for Saturday, Dec. 13.
Registration starts on Nov. 4 and continues every Tuesday through Thursday until Nov. 25 at the Beeville Vineyard, 210 N. Monroe St. Senior citizens and disabled are asked to register on Wednesday afternoon unless they register with their Adult Day Care on their regular shopping mornings.
Christmas Angels officers are Sarah Carter, chairperson; Billie Yoho, delivery chair; Susan Vickery, secretary; Cherry McClintock, treasurer; and Ellene Valenta, volunteer coordinator. Other ’08 directors are Sally Belew, Virginia Cherry, Karen Conder, Mary Ely, Vera and Bettye Hale, Gabi Kroschk, Linda Lee, Sam Pena, Jane Smith and RoseMarie Stafford.
Community members, church and service groups are asked to help with the following (December dates are especially good youth and club service activities):
• Nov. 1 - Initial warehouse cleanout from 9 a.m. to noon. Muscles needed!
• Now-Dec. 10 - Donations of cash, food, toiletries, wrapping bags or supplies and new toys.
• Nov. 8 - Wreath making and box decorating from 9 a.m. to noon.
• Nov. 22 and 29 - Gift sorting and transformation of warehouse into Santa’s workshop.
• Dec. 1-5, 8-12, 15-19 - Boxing of food and toiletries, and assisting parents with toy selection and wrapping, from 8:30 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4:30 p.m.
• Dec. 11 - Sorting of food for 400 families from 4 to 8 p.m.
• Dec. 12 - Packing of food and toiletries for next day delivery.
• Dec. 13 - Homebound delivery from 8:30 a.m. to noon. Fifteen teams of volunteers are needed.
Dec. 19 - Last shopping day reserved for emergency late registrants and those who missed previous appointments with good cause.
Dates are subject to change in accordance with circumstances.
Please call 358-7500 or 358-2075 to volunteer.
Wreaths, trees and collection boxes bearing snowmen (boys) and angels (girls) with various ages will be placed in stores in mid-November so that shoppers may pick an age.