STRICKLAND INDICTED ON CAPITAL MURDER, Suspect also charged with three felonies in 2012 Portland murder case
by Jennifer Lewis
Aug 24, 2014 | 3176 views | 0 0 comments | 2 2 recommendations | email to a friend | print
PORTLAND – The Grand Jury indicted David Malcom Strickland, 27, on Aug. 13, on a capital murder charge for the death of 19-year old Mollie Olgin, who was shot and killed on June 22, 2012, at Portland’s Violet Andrews Park.

Strickland is also being charged with three felonies: kidnapping, aggravated sexual assault and robbery. Strickland was arrested and brought to the San Patricio County Jail on June 21, where he remains in custody without bond.

The heinous crimes, that were committed two years ago, were against both Mollie Olgin and Mary Kristene Chapa. Chapa, who had been found by visitors of the park, amazingly survived, as both she and Olgin were sexually assaulted and shot in the back of their heads. Chapa was in critical condition when found in the park.

Some of the evidence used in the case against Strickland included information gathered from collaborating with Utah police. In January, Portland Police officers were notified that Strickland had been charged with stealing firearms from former Utah roommate, Christopher Melchor, in 2013. He was then arrested in Moab, Utah, according to the affidavits.

Evidence, that was pertinent to the Portland Police Department’s Investigation, was found when the Utah police searched Strickland’s vehicle and found firearms, handcuffs, a knife, a bag containing a condom, lubricant, bolt cutters, and an Under Armour glove, all items said to have been used during the night of the assault.

In a statement given to Portland police, Chapa said she remembered the white Under Armour logo on her assailant’s gloves worn during the time of the attack.

Both Aaron Veuleman, who is heading the investigation for the Portland Police Department, and District Attorney Michael Welborn were unavailable for comment, as of press time.

Strickland will be arraigned in approximately two weeks, according to the District Attorney’s office.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet